07 January 2013

sesame & sriracha white bean dip. & a pimped out rice cake.





This lovely dip not 100% detox because of the bit of sugar in the sriracha. Granted, it is a small amount & not the end of the world, & I think it will be okay. I am sharing this recipe because for those of you who follow the blog regularly know how much I adore & eat on the reg, white bean dip.

I usually go for the Mediterranean flavors when making a white bean dip, but I thought I would branch out & experiment with some Asian ingredients & I think this came out so tasty. It will definitely be apart of my bean dip making repertoire, especially because I prefer to eat this dip with veggies over a starch. I literally put away some crackers & cut up more veggies when I made this. This is big-- not because I hate veggies, but because I love starches.

Here I served it on a simple rice cake stacked with veggies for lunch--it is like no other rice cake you've ever had...because usually they are so boring & this is anything but! Give it a shot, I don't think you will be disappointed. This dip with cut up veggies would be a great appetizer to an Asian-inspired meal, like Best Stir-Fried Chicken, cold soba or spring rolls.

sesame & sriracha white bean dip. 
makes 2 cups

1 15oz can cannellini beans, drained & rinsed
2 TBL sriracha or chili sauce
2 TBL lemon juice
1 TBL cilantro or parsley
2 tsp tamari or soy sauce
1 tsp sesame oil (if you want a hint of spicy use a spicy sesame oil), plus some for serving
1 clove garlic
1/4 cup grapeseed oil
sea salt & cracked pepper

  1. Combine all the ingredients except the grapeseed oil into the food processor. Once the beans are starting to smooth out, with the motor still running, add the oil. 
  2. Scoop into a bowl, garnish with a small drizzle of sesame oil & a pinch of sea salt. Serve with sliced veggies or how I have suggested it below.
*If you are using dried/soaked beans for this you may want to add 2-4 TBL of water to the dip to really smooth out the beans. 


to assemble the pimped out rice cake:
serves 4 as a snack

8 rice cakes
2 handfuls greens (baby kale, spinach or arugula, whatever is on hand or is your preference), chopped
1 large carrot, washed, peeled & peeled into ribbons
1 avocado, thinly sliced & seasoned with sea salt & cracked pepper
(optional) 1 chili, sliced

  1. Spread a healthy amount of the bean dip over a rice cake. Layer greens, carrot ribbons, avocado slices & a chili slice or two on top of each other. 


happy eatings & cheers!

No comments: