06 January 2013

creamy avocado dip. a light snack.




I found a variation of this avocado dip recipe in the Sprouted Kitchen Cookbook, featured with sweet potato wedges. The original dip is made with buttermilk, which sounds lovely, & I do mean to try it that way, but since I am avoiding dairy I played with some alternatives. I used  almond milk, which was very subtle & lightly nutty.

I did make the sweet potato wedges with the dip, fantastic, by the way. It was a great alternative to ketchup (which I'm not hating on, but avoiding the sugar).  I used the left over avocado dip today for a light snack (well basically lunch) with brown rice crackers & cucumbers. Jediah said is was very "refreshing", & I agree. This would be fun for appetizers too.

creamy avocado dip.
adapted from the Sprouted Kitchen Cookbook

2 avocados
1/3 cup plain almond milk
juice from 1/2 lemon
2 clove garlic
1 scallion
1 TBL fresh parsley
sea salt & cracked pepper to taste

to serve:
1 cucumber, thinly sliced ( I use English because they are less water-logged than others this time of year)
1 package of brown rice crackers (I like Sesmark)
coarse sea salt
  1. Add ingredients into a food processor, & pulse until smooth (leave a few chunks if you prefer to have a bit of texture). 
  2. Serve a dollop on a cracker topped with a cucumber slice & a pinch of coarse sea salt. 
happy eatings & cheers!

No comments: