22 February 2012

everyday granola. {gluten-free & vegan}



22 February 2012

Back in November, I posted a holiday granola recipe. The holiday recipe is a little rich & I basically eat granola everyday. So, I was looking for a recipe with less oil, that cooks faster & has a little more, I don't know, healthy goodness. This recipe is loaded with seeds, like flax, sesames, sunflower, pumpkin--which boosts fiber, antioxidants, iron, B vitamin intake. The spice in this is really nice too, the turmeric adds a subtle little kick.

This recipe is adapted from G.P.'s My Father's Daughter. I eat it with almond or soy milk, with banana (because the pups love banana & they look forward to a slice or two of it) or blueberries. 

everyday granola. 
makes about 4 cups

2 cups organic rolled oats (not quick)
1 cup slivered almonds
1/2 cup shredded coconut
1/4 cup pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
1/4 cup sunflower seeds
1 TBL flax seeds
1 TBL sesame seeds
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp turmeric
pinch of sea salt

1/2 cup pure maple syrup
2 TBL vegetable oil
2 TBL brown rice syrup, agave syrup or honey

--Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
--Mix together in a large bowl & spread mixture over the parchment paper.
--Bake for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.

1 cup dried fruit (I usually use a mix of raisins & cranberries)

--When the granola is done, add fruit & let cool on the baking sheet.
--If you want the granola to be a little chunky & stuck together, pile the granola 1" thick to cool, then break apart.
--Store in air tight container for 3 weeks. This batch lasts me a little over a week if I eat it everyday.

happy eatings & cheers!

No comments: