31 January 2012

no-bake cookies. {gluten-free & vegetarian}


31 January 2012

Jediah wanted me to call these "Ain't -No-Bake" Cookies. They are cookies I am sure we've all eaten growing up. I like being able to make a cookie in a snap, but "No" Bakes tend to have a clawing sugary after-taste that I just couldn't shake. So I sought after creating a recipe without white sugar & even decreasing the insane amount of it.  I used brown rice syrup & maple syrup. If you haven't given brown rice syrup a try, you really must. It has a great flavor & is more nutritive (a better choice for those watching their sugar intake). Lundberg makes a great syrup, that is available at most grocery stores (& I should know--I live in Western Maine!). 

These came out great, while curing my hankering for that famous peanut butter/ chocolate combo we all know & love. 

No Bake Cookies. 
These are gluten-free & can easily become vegan treats by switching the butter for your favorite vegan option (like Earth Balance ). 

1/2 stick grass-fed butter or coconut oil
1/2 cup brown rice syrup
2 TBL pure maple syrup
2 TBL cocoa powder
--Combine in a medium sauce pan. Bring to a boil & take of the heat.

1/2 soy or almond milk
1/2 cup natural creamy peanut butter (I used Skippy's natural PB for this application) or almond butter
2 cups organic rolled oats
1 tsp vanilla
--Combine thoroughly into the chocolate mixture.
--Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or tinfoil. 
--Scoop spoonfuls of the batter onto the baking sheet & chill until set.

*Jediah told me that when he was growing up, he would roll the dough into little balls, then roll them into shredded coconut...this made the dough set faster. 

happy eatings & cheers!

1 comment:

Cynthia said...

I remember rolling them in conf. sugar ...