I can hardly believe there has been months & so many happenings since the last time I shared a recipe, a photo, or even my thoughts here on we eat. happy. Mostly, though, it has been a long winter here in Portland. I feel so much joy in the snow melting away to reveal purple & white crocuses emerging from the earth & small pale green buds adorning stark branches. The birds have returned, chirping towards the bright mornings & reveling in the warmth of the sun. Needless to say, this revival is inspiring.
Over the past months, I have continued to eat minimally processed foods (sticking with grain-free & sugar-free foods), & have been delighted with the overall results. Now that I have experimented a bit cooking this way, I feel prepared to share my everyday meals as well as the special dishes with everyone here. My beliefs have certainly not changed though. Cooking & preparing foods that are in season (when you can) allow for the best flavor and the ingredients on your plate to really shine.
Everything about this roasted carrot & ginger soup is simple: from its character to the preparation. Just because this dish is minimal, does not mean the flavors are--in fact, they are comforting, refreshing, & satisfying. This is a lovely lunch as well as perfect starter for the main course. This version is vegan, but if you are looking for a rich accent, a dollop of creme fraiche or sheep's milk yogurt definitely wouldn't hurt!
roasted carrot & ginger soup.
serves 2 as a meal or serves 4 as a side
6-8 carrots, peeled & chopped
extra-virgin olive oil
sea salt & cracked pepper
2 shallots, peeled & diced
2 cloves garlic, peeled & minced
1 thumb sized piece of ginger root, peeled & grated
3 cups vegetable stock or chicken stock (homemade always elevates the flavor, but whatever you have on hand!)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Toss the chopped carrots with about a TBL of extra virgin olive oil, & a pinch of sea salt & cracked pepper in a roasting pan. Cook in the oven for about 25 minutes, or until the carrots are tender and begin to get caramelized around the edges.
- Meanwhile, in a heavy bottom stock pot, drizzle another TBL or two of olive oil & bring to a medium heat. Add the onions. Cook until the onions are tender & translucent. Add the garlic & grated ginger, & saute for another minute. Add the broth or stock & bring to a boil.
- Take the carrots out of the oven & add them to the broth. Simmer for about 15 minutes.
- At this point, carefully blend the soup until smooth with an immersion blender or in a regular blender.
- Pass the soup through a fine mesh sieve for a more refined texture, or leave it pureed for a heartier texture. Season to taste with sea salt & cracked pepper.
happy eatings & cheers!