04 November 2013

our new nest & an autumn salad.








4 November 2013

Apologies for the long intermission between posts, and what seems like a cooking strike. September & October were a whirlwind, I can't believe how the time flies & the seasons change.  After what felt like a long stint of living out of bags and working out of stacks, Jediah & I finally moved into our new nest in the city. We unpacked with haste, riffled through the cluttered, purged & reorganized. In the quieter moments, we have been exploring the nooks-and-crannies of our neighborhood: discovering the best brunch spot, where to get a delicious sip of coffee, & of course, searching for what will be our go-to bar.

This move recalls my favorite childhood book, The Best Nest by P.D. Eastman. In the book, Mr. & Mrs. Bird are on the quest to find the perfect nest. They try many, but there are flaws in each one: whether it is the noise of a ringing bell tower or the menacing ferocity of a house cat. In the end, after all the searching & frustration, Mrs. Bird realizes that her home was with the ever constant Mr. Bird along. It was never about the place, but the one that you share it with. Although I am thrilled for a new nest my self, I know my home is always where my love & my heart is.

Now that I have my kitchen, my pots, pans, wooden spoons, & all the gadgets that make me quite content, I have been feeling inspired--& positively excited to cook again. I am delighted to partake in laughter, conversation, & meals with my friends, family, & the visitors that stop by here. Today I share with you a simple salad that sings the flavors of the harvest. Since the ingredients are hearty, this is a great one to pack for a lunch as it can stand up to being put together a early & eaten later. Enjoy!

an autumn salad: red kale, roasted beet, apple, red onion, & roasted honey-walnuts
serves 2-4

1 bunch of red kale, leaves torn & stems discarded
4-6 small beets (your choice), roasted, peeled, & sliced
1 small apple (I used a local honey crisp), sliced or diced
1 small red onion, sliced
1 cup roasted honey-walnuts (recipe below)

  1. In a large bowl or platter, either toss the ingredients together or arrange them "decoratively."
  2. Serve with the house dressing. 

roasted honey-walnuts
1 cup raw walnuts
1 TBL olive oil
1 TBL raw honey
1/2 tsp Maldon sea salt

  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. In a bowl, whisk together the oil & honey. Thoroughly fold in the walnuts.
  2. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, & evenly lay out the walnuts. Sprinkle with sea salt. Bake for about 10 minutes. Keep your eyes on them--you don't want them to burn. Let them cool a few minutes before you start snacking on them.

house dressing
makes 1 cup

1/3 good balsamic vinegar
2/3 cup olive oil
1 TBL raw honey
1 tsp Dijon mustard
a pinch of sea salt & cracked pepper

  1. Whisk vinegar, honey, mustard, & seasoning. Slowly add the oil until the dressing is thoroughly combined.


happy eatings & cheers!

No comments: