29 January 2013

egg salad bites. {grain-free & dairy-free}






Hi all. I am sorry it has been a few days and nothing from me. Classes started last week, and although dinners have been great, we have been eating late, & by the time dinner is done I am usually frantic with hunger--no time for pictures.

Anyway, so I started going to yoga class on campus. I really enjoy it, and have decided to go four days a week for one month. You know, to see how I feel. I am not usually one for goals of this nature, but I figure if I say it here, I will be more accountable to commit. I'll keep you posted.

So, if you are a regular reader, you know I am pretty into snacking throughout the day. Jediah's uncle gave us a bunch of eggs from his chickens this weekend, so I thought, heck, why not make an egg salad. I don't make hard-boiled eggs much because I lack the patience of, yes, peeling the shell off a boiled egg. I do like egg salad & enjoy eating on little crackers & bites instead of in a bulky sandwich. This is really simple, you can make this ahead of time, of course, & pack it for a lunch (if you want to risk being the person who brought egg salad with you!) or it is perfect for a little lunch gathering.

egg salad.
serves 4

6 organic hard-boiled eggs, peeled* (I keep 3 yolks & give the other 3 to the dogs...shhh)
1/4 cup onion (your choice), finely chopped
1/4 cup cilantro, finely chopped
1/4 cup Vegenaise or your favorite Mayonnaise
3 radishes, finely chopped
1 TBL olive oil
a big of sea salt & cracked pepper
Crackers of your choice
a handful of arugula

  1. In a large bowl mix the eggs, onions, cilantro, mayonnaise, radishes, oil & seasonings until well combined & to your desired texture.
  2. Serve on crackers of your choice with a leaf or two of arugula for an added kick & for prettiness.


* The way I hard boil eggs, is by covering them in cold water in a pot. I bring it to a rolling boil. Then I remove from the heat, & let it sit for about 11 minutes with the lid on. I rinse the eggs in cold water & then let them cool in a bowl.

happy eatings & cheers!

No comments: