31 December 2012

spanish style chicken. & baby kale salad.



So, my mum got me a Le Creuset for Christmas (thanks mum!)...I broke it out immediately & started my cooking experiments.  I made this Spanish inspired chicken, & I overheard my brother Peter say that he could eat this dinner every night of his life. So, I thought I would share with all of you.

spanish style chicken.
serves 4

extra virgin olive oil
7-8 thin slices of chorizo (or chicken chorizo)
1 sweet onion, roughly chopped
2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
4-6 free range chicken thighs, cleaned & patted dry
sea salt & cracked
a big handful of parsley, roughly chopped
  1. In a dutch oven or cast iron pan, heat oil over medium-high heat & add chorizo. Fry for about 7-8 minutes allowing all the beautiful paprika flavors to release into the oil. 
  2. Add onion & garlic. Stir for a minute or so & add  chicken skin side down. Season and cook for about 4 minutes. Flip, season, & cook another 4 minutes allowing the chicken to brown & seal in the tenderness.
  3. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Flip the chicken one more time & pop into the oven. Cook uncovered for about 30 minutes. Take the chicken out & let it rest in the pan for about 10 minutes.
  4. Sprinkle parsley over the chicken. Season to taste. Serve with a salad or some roasted potatoes.

baby kale & tomato salad.
serves 4
I am having an obsession with baby kale. I think you may too.

4 big handfuls of baby kale
1 pint of cherry tomato (multi-colored are always fun), halved
4 scallions, chopped
1 cup of day old bread, cut into cubes
sea salt & cracked pepper
1/2 recipe of perfect jam-jar dressing
  1. In a pan, over medium heat, add bread & a little bit of extra virgin olive oil. Season & toast for about 10 minutes until browned. 
  2. Toss all ingredients into a bowl & dress to your taste.
happy eatings & cheers!

No comments: