30 November 2012

spaghetti squash with a quick cherry tomato sauce.








Your probably thinking spaghetti squash again!, but yep, I am kind of all about it right now. I saw a pint of local cherry tomatoes from Flying Pond Farms in Vienna, Maine & am pretty sure this will be the last of them. I can't believe I am still able to get local tomatoes at the end of November in Western Maine...pretty incredible. We had a mild, rainy fall which I guess worked perfectly for our autumn veg.

Anyway, this is an easy dish that can come together in a half hour or less. I actually cooked the squash earlier in the day when I was around. I made the sauce when I came home from class, & just sauteed the squash innards like I did in my last spaghetti squash recipe. So it really was only a 20 minute ordeal before I got to eat. Jediah, was on wine buying duty, he picked a dry Prosecco. How fancy for a week night--I love it!

spaghetti squash with cherry tomato sauce.
serves 4

1 spaghetti squash
olive oil
sea salt & cracked pepper

3 TBL extra virgin olive oil
4 cloves garlic, minced
a big pinch of dried chili flakes
a big pinch of dried basil
sea salt & cracked pepper to taste

1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
a shot of vodka, or splash of white wine

Pecorino or Parmesan for garnishing

  1. To roast the squash, preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Drizzle a little olive oil, season with sea salt & cracked pepper. Place the squash on the bottom rack, cut-side up. 
  2. Bake for 30-35 minutes. Take the squash out, and place it cut-side down on a plate to let the steam & moisture out, about 10 minutes.
  3. Meanwhile, in a medium pot over medium heat, add oil, garlic, chilies, basil, salt & pepper. Cook for about 1 minute, until the oil is fragrant watching carefully so the garlic doesn't burn. 
  4. Add the shot of vodka, cook about 1 minute. Add the tomatoes. Cook, stirring occasionally for about 15 minutes.
  5. Scoop out the spaghetti squash innards and plate them up. Scoop some sauce over the squash. Garnish with some Pecorino or Parmesan (or skip the cheese to make it vegan). 
happy eatings & cheers!

No comments: