14 November 2012

pumpkin granola & an early birthday gift.




The Sprouted Kitchen cookbook. I am pretty excited. The book is beautiful and I want to cook everything. Jediah gave me an early birthday gift for my "birthday week"--his idea not mine, but I still like it!

The first thing I made was the pumpkin pecan granola. I eat granola almost everyday for breakfast, so it is always fun to try a new recipe. The pumpkin flavor is really subtle and the puree creates a really nice texture. This is perfect for the holiday season: flavor-wise and health-wise.

pumpkin pecan granola.
makes about 4 cups
from the Sprouted Kitchen

2 cups rolled oats
1/2 cup pecans (I used walnuts b/c I had them on hand)
3 TBL sesame seeds

2 1/2 TBL olive oil
1/3 cup maple syrup
1/3 cup pumpkin puree
a pinch of sea salt
3/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice

1/2 cup raisins, golden or crimson

  1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. 
  2. In a bowl combine oil, syrup, puree, salt & spice. Whisk together. Add oats, nuts & seeds. 
  3. Spread out on a baking sheet. Make sure it is in an even layer so that steam from the pumpkin releases.  Bake for 35-45 minutes, stirring occasionally. 
  4. Bake until the granola is light golden brown. Take out of the oven and stir in raisins. Let cool completely before storing. 
* I served mine with almond milk. 
happy eatings & cheers!

No comments: