19 July 2012

smoked salmon & avocado sushi. with edamame-cucumber salad.





Sushi is one of those meals that I adore when I go out to some place that I know makes it really well. I also I have always found it to be a daunting meal to make at home. Recently I took up the courage, & just tried a simple version at home. Now, this is not particularly authentic to traditional Japanese sushi, but is delicious & simple.

Here, instead of using raw fish, I used some smoked wild salmon from Maine. If you are not sure about sushi, or fish in sushi, just try your favorite vegetables or even fruit, such as: mango, pear or apple. The other ingredient that I used that is not so traditional is jasmine rice (gasp!). I totally have access to sushi rice, I just wanted to try it with something I already had on hand & make all the time. It worked out perfectly fine. Lastly, I used plastic wrap to roll the sushi, instead of a bamboo mat. Again, the same as the rice...I was looking for delicious taste without having to make a special trip. 

The lovely thing about sushi & this refreshing edamame-cucumber salad, is that it is really fun for a get-together, a light dinner & if I can do it--you can do it!

smoked salmon & avocado sushi. 
makes 4 rolls

1 1/2 cups cooked rice (I used jasmine, but use sushi or even short grain brown rice)
a splash of rice vinegar
a drizzle of agave syrup

  1. While the rice is still warm, toss with vinegar & agave, then spread out in a shallow bowl to begin cooling a bit. 

4 sheets of nori
4oz smoked wild salmon, divide out enough for 4 rolls
1 avocado, ripe but still firm enough to cut into slices
1 chili or jalapeno, cut lengthwise, deseeded, into thin strips
plastic wrap


  1. Lay the plastic wrap flat on a cutting board.
  2. Lay the nori sheet shiny side down on top of the plastic wrap.
  3. Spread rice over the nori, leaving a 1/2" edge on the furthest side.
  4. Place your fillings in the center on the rice (horizontally). 
  5. Roll tightly, using the plastic wrap to guide the roll & keep the filling tucked in.
  6. Slice into 8 pieces. Viola!

* The nori package should have a picture display of this process.

Serve with:

a small bowl of tamari or soy sauce
pickled ginger (I used The Ginger People's organic pickled sushi ginger)
wasabi or a wasabi cream (1 tsp. wasabi, 1 TBL Vegenaise, 1 TBL cream)

edamame-cucumber salad
serves 4

4 pickling cucumbers, sliced in halved then on a diagnol
1 cup fresh edamame
4 scallions, chopped
2 tsp toasted sesame seeds

1/2 rice wine vinegar
2 TBL white wine
2 TBL agave syrup
2 tsp spicy sesame oil
cracked pepper


  1. Whisk the dressing ingredients, then toss with the rest. Enjoy cold!


happy eatings & cheers!

No comments: