Well, it is that time of year when the strawberry/rhubarb combinations flourish. I made this pie at Jediah's parents house for a little dinner get-to-gether. You can't go wrong with fresh strawberries from the stand & rhubarb picked from of your neighbors garden.
strawberry rhubarb pie.
for the filling:
4 cups of halved strawberries & chopped rhubarb (leaves discarded!)
1/2 cup organic sugar (a little extra for sprinkling)
1/2 cup organic brown sugar
3 TBL all-purpose flour
a squeeze of lemon juice
a pinch of sea salt
I used the same crust recipe as my wild-blueberry pie but this time I put the ingredients in the food processor & pulsed until the dough looked crumbly.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Combine filling ingredients in a large bowl
- Roll out one dough & place in a 9" pie plate leaving 1/2" around the edge. Transfer filling into the crust.
- Roll out the second dough & trim to fit, folding the bottom crust excess over the top edge. Seal by crimping. Make several 1" steam slits in the center of the pie with a pairing knife.
- Brush pie with a little extra milk or cream & sprinkle with sugar.
- Place the pie on a baking sheet & bake for 15 minutes. Turn down the heat to 350 degrees & continue to bake for an additional 30 minutes.
- Cool on a wire rack for at least 2 hours.
happy eatings & cheers!