This vegan, gluten free dinner tastes like take-away without the cost-- & maybe on the table even faster.
spicy ginger-orange tofu.
1 lb. extra-firm tofu, rinsed, well-drained, cut into 1" cubes
2 TBL corn starch
2 inch peel of an orange
sea salt & a good pinch of cracked pepper
- Toss together in a bowl & set aside.
1/2 cup rice vinegar
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 TBL freshly squeezed orange juice
cracked pepper to taste
- Whisk together & set aside
1/2 cup scallions, chopped
1/4 cup fresh ginger, sliced & minced
1/4 cup garlic, minced
(optional) 1 chili of your hotness-choice, diced
2 TBL canola or vegetable oil
1 tsp sesame oil
2 TBL tamari
2 tsp sesame seeds
- In a large pan over medium high heat, cook tofu in in oils for 4-5 minutes or until the tofu begins to turn golden.
- Add scallions, ginger, garlic & optional chili & continue to cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Pour in the vinegar & sugar mixture & cook until the liquid has reduced about half & begins to look a bit sticky (3-4 minutes).
- Add tamari & sesame seeds & cook for another minute.
- Serve with jasmine rice & steamed veggies (as you can see here, my veg of choice was broccoli--still with a bit of crunch).
happy eatings & cheers!