10 February 2012
winter walk in town.
After a chilly winter day, there is nothing like a cozy dinner. For Christmas, Jediah got me Jamie Oliver's latest cookbook, Jamie's Great Britain. This recipe takes a roasted chicken to whole new place, by making it into a salad, with green beans, croutons, bacon (or in my case turkey bacon) & cherry tomatoes. It is really lovely, filling & the leftovers make GREAT chicken salad the next day (just take out the croutons & add a little vegenaise).
This salad would be a great dinner party meal. It is luxurious all out on a platter, but tasty & homey.
epic roast chicken salad.
for the roast chicken:
sea salt & cracked pepper
a handful of fresh thyme, leaves picked
1 lemon, halved
400g cherry tomatoes, halved
1 bulb of garlic
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Drizzle olive oil all over the clean chicken. Sprinkle with salt & pepper. Scatter with the thyme & put the lemon in the cavity with the thyme stocks.
- Pop the chicken into a large roasting tray & roast for 1 hr.
- Half way through...mash up garlic in a mortar & pestle, discarding skins. Throw garlic & tomatoes into the roasting pan. Slush it all around. Continue cooking chicken for the last half hour or until golden & juices form the thigh run clear.
- Transfer chicken to a plate & cover with foil to cool a bit.
- Then take two forks, strip the meat off the bones & pile into a large bowl & drizzle some of the resting juices over the meat.
for the salad:
1 country loaf, torn into crouton sized bits
6 slices of turkey bacon (Jamie used pork bacon)
a handful of green beans, topped
- In the roasting tray, toss bread in with the tomatoes & cooking juices. Lay the bacon over the bread & continue to bake for 15-20 minutes until everything is golden, crispy & gorgeous.
- Cook the green beans in salted boiling water for 5-6 minutes; then drain. Add to the bowl of shredded meat.
for the dressing:
5-6 TBL olive oil
1 TBL wholegrain mustard
a few swigs cider vinegar
a bunch of parsley, chopped
6 scallions, chopped
- Combine with chicken & green beans in a bowl. Use your hands to really cover everything. Adjust if you need to.
- Tip all the goodness from the baking tray into the bowl. Toss. Put on a serving platter & serve in the middle of the table.
happy eatings & cheers!