Jediah's birthday is tomorrow, so I whipped up these rich little delights that incorporates his favorite flavor combo: peanut butter & chocolate. The following makes a dozen cupcakes with a little excess frosting (that you can eat out of the refrigerator at a later time).
chocolate cupcakes with cream cheese & peanut butter frosting.
makes a dozen cupcakes
1 1/2 cups spelt flour or all-purpose
3/4 cup cocoa powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. maldon sea salt
- Mix ingredients into a medium bowl. Set aside.
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 cup organic brown sugar
1/2 cup organic sugar
- Beat ingredients together until fluffy.
1 tsp. rice vinegar
1 tsp vanilla
- Slowly add dry ingredients into the oil & sugar, alternating with the liquid ingredients until combined.
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Line 12 muffin tins.
- Fill each tin almost to the top with batter & bake for 25 minutes or until a wooden skewer comes out clean.
- Let cool on a baking rack.
cream cheese & peanut butter frosting:
8oz organic cream cheese
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter (I used Skippy Natural Peanut Butter)
1/2 cup icing sugar
4 TBL whole milk
- Beat together until fluffy. Add the milk carefully (& you may need to add more to get the desired texture).
- With a knife, spread frosting on cooled cup cakes.
- If you want, you can grate organic dark chocolate over the top of the cupcakes like I did. I used Equal Exchange Dark Chocolate with Almonds.
happy eatings & cheers!