16 August 2010

turkey & rice stuffed golabkis & celebrating my mom's birthday. {gluten-free}




16 August 2010

It was Mom's birthday last week & of course I had to make dinner. It was perfect because I just lazed about her lake cabin all day prepping for her special dinner. My brother Luke spent the whole time helping me in the kitchen. We shared a beer, a glass of wine & great conversation. My youngest brother, Peter, was also there, but just filtering in-&-out of the kitchen asking when it was going to be ready for consumption!

The meal came up last minute when a very sweet person gave me a beautiful cabbage from their garden & I knew that I should make golabkis. But I decided that I was not going to make my family's traditional Polish golabkis, but a lighter, healthier, & a little more interesting version.

The appetizer was delicious rye bread from Borealis Breads in Ellsworth, ME & goat cheese from Yorkhill Farm in New Sharon, ME. For the side dish, I made maple-roasted carrots. It was a perfect family meal with my mum, brothers, Jediah, & our friend Bob. Hope you enjoy too!


turkey & rice stuffed golabkies. 
Recipe for rolls then sauce
serves 6

For the Golabkis:
10-12 cabbage leaves--working in batches, add leaves to a large pot of boiling water for 3-4 minutes; just until they are pliable. Set aside on a kitchen towel
3 cups of prepared long-grain brown rice
1 knob butter & 1 glug of olive oil 
1 Spanish onion, sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
sea salt
1 lb ground dark meat turkey
1/4 cup pine nuts
1/4 fresh parsley, chopped

--In a frying pan, over medium-high heat, cook onion & garlic in butter & oil for 10 minutes. Add salt & turkey, continue to cook until cooked, about 6-7 minutes. Add pine nuts, parsley, & season to taste. 

--Add rice, stir until combined & turn off heat.
For the Sauce:
1 cup Spanish onion, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
2 knobs butter

1 28oz can crushed tomatoes
1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
sea salt & cracked pepper

--Meanwhile to cook the sauce, over medium heat cook onion & garlic in butter in a stock pot for 15 minutes; or until very tender.
--Add tomatoes, cinnamon, salt & pepper. Simmer for a half hour or so.
To Assemble: 
  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a casserole dish & then add 1 cup of sauce to the bottom of the dish.
  2. Lay cabbage leaf flat & fill with a 1/4 cup of filling & roll up. Place seam side down in the dish.
  3. When they are all rolled up, cover with the rest of the sauce. Bake for 45 minutes. When done let cool in the pan for 10 minutes.

happy eatings & cheers!

No comments: