06 September 2012

warhol & the soup can.

Instagram of cans at Target
Self-portrait, 1963
Big Torn Campbell's Soup Can, 1962
In honor of the 50th anniversary of Andy Warhol's Campbell's Soup Can exhibit, Campbell's soup created a pop art tribute. It is such an interesting relationship between the original art work's intention & the newly alluring commodity's. Warhol's painstaking, intricate work is a portrait of a consumerist world; while Campbell's is using it as a "celebration" of their product to sell more of it. It's brilliant!  The other interesting twist is that The Andy Warhol Foundation of Visual Arts is a partner in the promotion of this product. 

I will be honest, when I saw these cans at the store, they really caught my eye with the lovely neon colors...then I paused.  As a consumer, I had to ask myself, "Really...do you really need this?". I think Warhol would love these cans--aesthetically, for the attention & maybe even for the irony alone.  I refused to be duped on this one, but I have been thinking about the cans & how advertising has warped their meaning in our contemporary visual culture.

cheers!

No comments: