Here is a good way to use up some of the summer veggies from the garden or the market. It is also a good way to feed a crowd or to make for a hearty vegetarian meal. I made this for Jediah's family & my brother Peter...it was a pretty big hit. The potatoes & zucchini work nicely together.
baked zucchini & potatoes. in mushroom-tomato sauce.
for the tomato sauce:
1 onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 portabella mushrooms, diced
1 28oz can crushed tomatoes
1/4 cup white wine
a big handful of fresh basil
sea salt & cracked pepper
- In a medium pot over low-medium heat, cook onion & garlic in the olive oil for about 10 minutes, until the onion is tender.
- Add the mushrooms & cook for about 8 more minutes. Add the wine, & cook for about 3-4 minutes until it has reduced a bit.
- Add the tomatoes & increase & bring to a boil. Once it boils, reduce heat & simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add basil & season.
for the zucchini, potatoes & assembling:
3 cups zucchini, sliced into 1/4" rounds & put under the broiler for 3 minutes each side on a baking sheet
2 large potatoes, sliced into 1/4" rounds & parboiled until al dente
1 mozzarella ball
1/2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
a handful fresh basil, thinly sliced
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Grease an 8x8 casserole dish. Spread about 1/4 cup of sauce on the bottom, then a layer of zucchini, potatoes, mozzarella cheese, sauce & then repeat.
- At the last layer add the rest of the mozzarella, the parmesan cheese & basil. Drizzle with a little olive oil & season.
- Bake for 45 minutes when the top is all golden & the tomato sauce is bubbling on the sides. Cool for 15 minutes before cutting & serving. It is a little messy, but very tasty.
happy eatings & cheers!