31 March 2012

making something out of nothing.



The other night was one of those evenings when I looked into the refrigerator & I felt like I saw nothing. But what to make for dinner? I pulled myself up by the bootstraps & tried to get creative by scouring my pantry & refrigerator.

I made my favorite biscuits that are a Barefoot Contessa recipe, eggs over-easy & a little side salad of local mixed greens for dinner (thanks Blue Ribbon Farm!). It worked out pretty good--& for dessert I made an instant banana-nutella pudding-type thing. I got the idea for the dessert from the adorable Everyday Musings blog, where she made it more of an icecream treat which would work if you freezer the banana thoroughly. This dessert reminds me a banana-berry sorbet I made last summer.

Hopefully this post will help you if you are feeling a little helpless as you stand in front of a seemingly empty refrigerator.

biscuits.
These are basically as easy as popping the ingredients in the food processor (although it can be done without one). I don't have a biscuit cutter so I used the rim of a mason jar instead.


  • 2 cups flour (I replaced 1 cup with spelt flour)
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1 teaspoon sugar
  • 1/4 pound (1 stick) cold butter, diced
  • 3/4 cup half-and-half
  • 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley (I omitted for this occasion)
  • 1 egg mixed with 1 tablespoon water, for egg wash

--Preheat the oven to 400 degrees & line a baking sheet with wax paper.
--Combine the flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Add the butter and mix on low speed until the butter is the size of peas. Add the half-and-half and combine on low speed. Mix in the parsley. 
--Dump the dough out on a well-floured board and, with a rolling pin, roll out to 3/8-inch thick. Cut out twelve circles with a 2 1/2-inch round cutter. Brush them with egg wash, and return the dish to the oven.
--Place on baking sheet & bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden. 


mixed green salad with locatelli, raisins & toasted almonds. 
This is really adaptable to what dried or fresh fruits, nuts or seeds & cheese you may have on hand. The dressing is very versatile too.

3 big handfuls of mixed greens
2 scallions, chopped
1/4 cup Locatelli Romano or Parmesan, grated
3 TBL slivered almonds, toasted
2 TBL organic raisins, chopped

--Toss together in bowl.

lemony-maple dressing.

1 TBL fresh lemon juice
1 tsp maple syrup
1 tsp Dijon mustard
3 TBL olive oil
sea salt & cracked pepper

--Whisk in a bowl. Toss together with greens.

a sort of instant banana-nutella pudding.
makes enough for two


1 banana, peeled & popped in the freezer for 1 hour before preparing
2 heaping spoonfuls of nutella
1 tsp cocoa powder, plus some for dusting
1/2 tsp vanilla

--Put all ingredients into a food processor or blender. Serve immediately & enjoy!


happy eatings & cheers!

No comments: