28 September 2011

lalo's famous cookies. {vegan}


28 September 2011

This cookie recipe (yes, another cookie recipe) is from Gwyneth Paltrow's cookbook My Father's Daughter. These little treast are so guilt-free--in which I am so glad because I popped, like, five in my mouth like it was nobody's business this morning after painting class.

They are vegan & virtually sugar-free. The barley flour is not that expensive (I bought Bob's Red Mill brand) &it is high in fiber, low in starch. As for the jam, I used Bonne Maman's Four Fruit preserves (you can buy this brand at almost any store); but I think even apricot jam or blueberry jam would be bomb! Or a combination would be really pretty. Maybe for Christmas...

Anyway, the recipe that I have included makes 50 cookies, I personally cut the recipe in half when I made them because I definitely did not need to eat that many cookies--and I would. Give the recipe a shot, it is a cinch!


Lalo's Famous Cookies
makes 50 small cookies

4 cups barley flour
3 cups raw whole almonds crushed in a food processor (about ten 2-second pulses)
1 teaspoon fine salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 cup canola oil
1 cup real Vermont maple syrup (I used Maine maple syrup!)
Your favorite jam
  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. 
  2. Combine all ingredients except for jam together in a large bowl with a wooden spoon. Form into tablespoonful balls and space them evenly on cookie sheets. Using your index finger, make an indent in each cookie. Fill each indent with a small spoonful of jam. Bake until cookies are evenly browned, about 20 minutes. Let cool before eating.

happy eatings & cheers!

No comments: