Pancakes-- such comfort food. We ate these for lunch just because I was craving them. These little cakes smell AMAZING, they are delicate & fluffy--so perfectly delicious. As you can tell I love pancakes, usually I make gluten-free, vegan banana pancakes or some simple morning pancakes, but I thought I would change it up a bit. The buttermilk works like a dream.
vanilla buttermilk pancakes
for the pancakes:
1 large organic egg, beaten
1 1/4 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup olive oil (not extra-virgin!)
1 TBL maple syrup
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
- In a large bowl beat together egg, buttermilk, oil, syrup & vanilla.
- Sift in the dry ingredients.
- Heat a pan or griddle over medium heat. Add a bit of oil & ladle about 1/4 cup of batter in the pan...do as many that will fit in the pan.
- When you see bubbles (about 2 minutes), flip pancakes over for another minute. Remove pancakes to a plate and serve with which ever option you desire.
- You can keep the pancakes warm in a 200 degree oven.
classic salted butter & maple syrup (this is what we had today)
a scoop of vanilla yogurt & a berries
sliced bananas & a drizzle of honey
a spoonful of berry jam
happy eatings & cheers!