24 January 2012

we all scream for ice cream.{gluten-free & vegetarian}


24 January 2012

This was my first attempt at ice cream. I was really excited. My lovely mum gave me an ice cream maker attachment for my Kitchenaid for Christmas & I finally gave it a shot.

I have broken my dairy- fast for a little treat and it was worth it!

I chose a dead simple recipe base from At Home with Magnolia. I did not need to make a custard which was awesome & sped up the process.  This was the first time I ever used sweetened condensed milk--it was sweet. I am sure it is not the healthiest ingredient in the world, but I liked how easy my first attempt at ice cream was.  This will be perfect for the summer because there is no cooking required.

banana, walnut & chocolate chunk ice cream.
serves  4-6

1 can sweetened condensed non-fat milk
1 cup ripe banana, mashed
3/4 cup heavy cream

  1. Mix in a bowl. Pour into an 8x8 glass casserole dish.
  2. Wrap with plastic wrap & place in the freezer for 2hrs. Mixing every half-hour.
  3. Then put in an ice cream machine for 20 minutes.

3/4 cup dark chocolate chunks
3/4 cups walnuts, chopped & toasted

  1. Add to the ice cream & continue in the machine for another 5-7 minutes.
  2. You can serve at this point or freeze again by storing in an air tight container.
  3. Personally, I like the more hard-serve texture, so I froze it for a couple of hours before I ate it.

happy eatings & cheers!

1 comment:

Cynthia said...

Awesome! Pretty pink dish, too!